The Cameron Jetties Pier


One of the places I wanted to share with you on our journey, was the Cameron Jetties. My parents took me fishing there when I was a child. 

The jetties are constructed of large rocks that were placed along both sides of the shipping channel to help with erosion and soil build up due to waves from large barges and the strong tidal currents from the Gulf of Mexico. To fish from the jetties you would have to climb over different sized rocks and find the perfect one to sit on and fish. I remember going there with my Mom, Dad, Aunt and Uncle to fish and all I did was sit in my Mom's lap and cry because the barges would blow their horns and it scared me. You would think that would make for a bad memory but it is one of my favorites. After having a family of my own, I too shared this beautiful place with my children so that one day they too would pass down the tradition.

 My Mom wanted to stop there today, as she had not been since before hurricane Rita, and with it being right off the Creole Nature Trail we decided to make it one of our stops. I knew a few years back they had built piers over the rocks to make it safer for fishermen but I did not know the extent of the changes.

 A pavilion with picnic tables, playground, camping spaces, and restrooms now crowd the once calming, seaside fishing paradise. The new additions make it more of a park than a fishing destination. Upon driving up, we could see the new facilities but saw you had to stop at a gate to enter. The first sign we saw was "restrooms are for paying patrons only" and at that moment my heart sank. I realized what was once a free public area is now considered a park that costs a whopping $5.00 a person to enter. 

Although the facilities are nice and fishing access is easier, I do not think that the fee is reasonable considering its size. The State and National Parks are much larger and have many other activities available and the cost is reasonable at $2.00 a person depending on age. The Jetties, for my family, are now just a place we can drive up to the gate and share stories, point at the large rocks, try to spot a dolphin, but have to turn around because in the end it is not worth the cost.

If you would like more information on this park click on the link below:
Cameron Jetties

~Michelle

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Megan Carista 2012. Powered by Blogger.
 

Flickr Photostream

Twitter Updates

Our Mission

Where our family travels the inner and outer parts of beautiful Louisiana, sharing the travel guides, the sights, the fun and the almost free!